Wednesday, March 28, 2012

End of my teaching season

Saturday, I taught skiing for the day. The skiing was essentially limited to two routes down the mountain and neither was very exciting. We spent 90 minutes watching people try to ski across an ice-cold pond. We quit a bit early and had a nice end-of-season party.

On Sunday morning, it was raining and windy. None of my students showed up. Hardly anyone showed up at all. We had a couple hours of meetings to discuss ways to improve our program. We had a nice little end of season party.

And then, it was over. Yes, Sugarbush is still open, with essentially one trail. I might ski on Saturday. I might not. I might not even have the option, but it's starting to look like the mountain will make it through the coming weekend.

This is a busy week at work. For the past four months, my life has been a whirlwind of working on software during the week and teaching skiing on the weekends, plus trying to work out as much as I could handle mid-week.

This week is a rest week. No CrossFit. No skiing planned. No running. Sleep. Sleep some more. My body needs an easy week (maybe an easy month) to recover from the past four months. I'm even using the commuter bus to get to work, to reduce my driving. Did I mention sleep?

Next week, I'll get back to the gym. Next week, I'll eat better. Next week, I may get out on my road bike or do some running. This week, I'm relaxing.

I'm even spending some of the downtime pseudo-planning a fly-fishing trip to PA in mid-May with my son. I grew up in PA and spent a lot of time fishing for trout. These days, I mostly fly fish rather than fishing with bait or lures. My son and I are going to take a 9-day trip in May and fish 6 or 7 of the best trout streams in PA. We have no reservations, no agenda, no timetable. Just sleep, eat, and fish.

No comments: