Thursday, February 11, 2010

I ran! Sort of.

I had to take my son to the doctor yesterday afternoon. The doctor thinks he has pertussis (whooping cough). After my recent diagnosis of pneumonia, the CEO of the company where I work (an MD) said he thought my illness sounded more like pertussis than pneumonia. Now, with my son's diagnosis, it's more likely that I also had/have pertussis, assuming my son's diagnosis is accurate.

My son was almost happy with the diagnosis. He can't go to school today or tomorrow and he can't go to work this weekend. On the weekends, he teaches skiing in an area of the mountain that houses over 100 children. He would have the opportunity to infect many children if they weren't current on their vaccines. So, he gets five days to play video games right now.

By the time I took my son to the doctor and got him his prescription, it was nearly dark. So, I opted to run on the treadmill. I was sore from lifting on Tuesday and I hadn't run in 36 days. So, I set the treadmill for a total workout distance of 3 miles. After a 1 mile warm-up, I started doing one minute (somewhat) hard and then one minute easy. I did this nine times, starting at 8:00 mpm pace and doing the last 4 repeats at 7:30 mpm, with the other repeats between those two paces. After not running for more than a month, that was plenty.

I'm even more sore today than I was yesterday. But, I feel like I'm starting my comeback finally.

No comments: