Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Bit by bit

I was tired from the weekend, but I got in a nice easy 45 minute run last night. My running is far from where it was a year ago or even six months ago, but my hamstring seems to be cooperating, I seem to be mostly healthy again, and it's time to start working harder on getting back into shape.

The hardest part will be losing the weight I've gained since last July. I definitely don't like how my clothes fit right now or what I see in the mirror. But, I feel like I've turned a corner and I'm going in the right direction.

It just looks like it's going to be a long journey to get back into decent shape right now. I'm entered in a tough 50K in April, but I doubt very much that I'm even going to show up that day. If I'm lucky, I'll be up to ten mile runs by then, but I don't see much purpose in risking injury by trying to finish a race when I'm not in good enough shape to do it safely.

It's snowing right now and we have a winter storm watch for tonight and tomorrow. If all goes well, this storm will give us 8"-12" of new snow. Plus, a bigger storm is expected on Friday. The days are getting longer, the high temps are nudging above freezing, but I'm still not giving up on ski season.

No comments: