Friday, June 12, 2009

One more peak to go

Vermont has five peaks that are 4000' or higher. In the years that I ran Wasatch and Hardrock, I hit the summit of each of those peaks at least once during my training. I have not done that before any other 100 milers. In the past 12 days, I've hit the summit of four of those five peaks. Given the fact that I have a perfect record finishing 100s (yeah, the sample size is too small to be meaningful), I plan to summit the fifth of those peaks tomorrow. The remaining peak is Killington, home to Vermont's largest ski resort. Killington Peak is also very close to Pico, the sixth highest peak in the state. So, just for good measure, my wife and I are going to hike both Killington and Pico tomorrow. I may even get my son out there to do the peaks with us. He has skied at Pico and Killington, but he's never stood on the summit of either peak.

Between thunderstorms and a tired body, I took a rest day yesterday. Today, I'm swamped with work because I'm leaving for vacation on Sunday, but I'm hoping to at least get in a short run or get to the gym tonight.

I'll hike early tomorrow and then spend the rest of the day packing for my trip to Costa Rica.

Today, for reasons that I don't yet know, the school cancelled a trip to Japan that was scheduled one week after the trip I'm going on next week. I'm assuming it has something to do with the WHO and swine flu. We'll see if we manage to make it out of here on Sunday without our trip being cancelled. I'm sure that someone, somewhere, is discussing that possibility today. If the trip gets cancelled, my son will be really disappointed. And then, I'll have to figure out what to do with 300,000 Costa Rican Colones.

No comments: