Monday, October 20, 2008

Rest and Strength Work

Yesterday was a rest day. My legs were tired, but not too beat up. Nonetheless, a rest day was in order.

This morning, I did a lower body lifting day at the gym - the same workout as last Monday, including squats and deadlifts. I will lift again this Friday, and then twice next week, and then I won't lift again until after the marathon.

Tonight, I'll get a second weight workout. We got four cords of dry firewood delivered on Saturday afternoon. The tarps that we use to keep firewood dry are all on our green wood that we plan to burn next year and it's supposed to rain overnight. So, we need to finish stacking the wood in our garage tonight. It's going to take a few hours to stack all that wood tonight and I'll probably be sore from that work. It's funny how lifting weights doesn't stop me from getting sore in "real world" activities. I guess it's that concept of "functional" lifting. I get stronger through lifting, but an activity like moving and stacking wood combines a number of movements that I rarely put together.

By tomorrow morning, we'll have rain after an extended period of beautiful weather. By Wednesday morning, we are supposed to have snow on the ground at lower elevations. The mountains may have enough snow that people will be able to hike to take a few turns.

My key workouts for this week are some marathon pace miles on Wednesday (probably 4-5 MP miles as part of a 9-miler) and 10 x 800 meters on Saturday.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

NICE work. The weight work will come in handy. Look up tabata squats and do it. It is so simple but kick ass.

David Ray said...

Yep, that's why boot camp can make me sore every week. Different combinations of movements work different muscles for sure.

4 cords is a lot of wood.

Anonymous said...

Hey Damon -

Lemme tell ya about dead legs :)

http://blog.fatcharliesdiary.com/2008/10/20/down-and-up-again--a-pucketts-perambulation.aspx

Damon said...

Fish, I do tabata work at times, often with sprints. Going all out for 20 seconds, resting for 10, times 10. I don't know if there's a way to hurt more in a 10 minute workout. I haven't tried them with squats. I'd have to use some weight and do them fast. I don't think bodyweight would be enough.

Jim, I read your report. I want to do a R2R2R someday, but I'm guessing that sounds too much like an ultra to you.