Thursday, October 18, 2012

CrossFit Eva

There are three main types of "WOD"s (Workout of the Day) in CrossFit.  First, and probably most common in our gym are the WODs that our trainer makes up or pulls from the main CrossFit web site or another gym's site.

Secondly, and done least frequently, are the "hero" WODs.  These workouts tend to be very long and difficult.  They are named for fallen heroes, usually soldiers, fire fighters or policemen.  A good example of a Hero WOD is Murph: Run a mile, 100 pull-ups, 200 push-ups, and 300 air squats (you can do these bodyweight exercises in any order that you like, such as 20 rounds of 5-10-15), and then run another mile.    Because of how taxing the hero WODs are, we do them fairly infrequently.

Lastly, and best know are the WODs known simply as The Girls.  Last Friday, we did Fran.  Tuesday was Grace.  Last night was Eva.  Eva is an interesting workout.  Technically, it's one of the "girls", but in reality, it's more like a typical hero workout.  For me, it might be the longest duration of the girls.  The workout looks simple:

5 rounds, as quickly as possible:
Run 800 meters
30 Kettlebell swings
30 pull-ups

It's very important to keep good form on the KB swings.  If you are sloppy and let your back become rounded, you can really torch your lower back, which makes the running segments even worse.  But for me, the worst part of the workout is doing 150 total pull-ups.  Even with assistance bands, that's a lot of pull-ups.

I spent most of yesterday dreading the workout.  When I got to the gym, I wasn't any more focused or interested in Eva.  But, once we got started, I simply powered my way through it.

I think my first round was about 8 minutes, the second about 9, and I averaged just under 10 minutes per round after that, for a total time of 45:51.  Today, my legs are tired, but what really hurts is my biceps from the pull-ups.

Tonight's workout is a bit easier - 5x5 push presses and then a mix of rowing, rope jumping box jumps, push-ups, burpees, and lateral box jumps.  It won't be easy, but after today, tomorrow will be a much earned rest day.

No comments: