Tuesday, July 25, 2017

CrossFit

The things I complain about week after week continue to improve.  I'm getting by on less and less sleep, although I feel like I could always use more.  I am still taking naps at times.  My appetite continues to improve and is pretty close to normal.  I still have some night sweats, but they seem to be getting better as well.

But, the thing I'm most excited about is going to CrossFit yesterday.  Ideally, I should have waited until 2 full months after my surgery, so I'm technically about 2 weeks early.  There are clearly some things I still am not ready to do (box jumps, burpees, etc.), but I feel I can do most of the movements, with light weight.

I also do the workouts in compression shirts at times.  After losing some of my psoas major muscle in my previous surgery, the shirts seem to help with overall core stability.  After losing more of that muscle in the latest surgery, I ordered two more compression shirts yesterday.  I think I'm simply going to need them all the time for CrossFit, moving forward.

Last night we started with 5x7 back squats.  I knew that after not squatting for 8 weeks, I was going to end up being sore today no matter what weight I chose.  I chose very light weights (85 and 95 - about 25% of my lifetime best), and I'm still sore today.  Oh well.

Next, we had reverse lunges with 2 barbells in the rack position.  I completely skipped this segment of the workout.  If I hadn't, I probably wouldn't be able to walk today.

Then, a 10 minute up ladder of 3 med balls over the shoulder (50# ball) and 20 rope jumping reps.  The second round is 6 and 40, then 9 and 60, etc.  I completed four rounds, 15 more balls over the shoulder, and 33 rope jumps.  I have no idea how that compares to anyone else.  I was just glad to be there.

My basic goal is to only do CF on MWF for a few weeks.  I don't want to do 2 days in a row for a while.  I'm also roughly targeting to do a 50% effort this week, (hence the skipped lunges and the slow, steady pace for the second half of the workout), 60% next week, then increasing by about 10% per week until I'm back to going hard.  That should take me until the first week of September or so.

Today is a rainy day, so while my wife does CF tonight, I'll walk on the treadmill.  I haven't even looked at the workout for today, but I know I don't want to do it.

No comments: