Tuesday, March 14, 2017

Round number 3 in the books

I spent the entire day at the hospital yesterday.  Things just seemed to drag out all day.  Not one appointment was on time, it seems.

I got there early and the first thing to do was access my chemo port and draw blood for labs.

After that, I had an appointment with a new oncologist who would read my lab work and sign off on the chemo.  Except, I ended up meeting with 2 different oncologists, and the second seemed more interested in conducting a therapy session rather than just getting me to chemo.

I know she meant well and was trying to make a good first impression.  But, she isn't even my new medical oncologist, so I thought it was overkill.

At noon, she was still talking.  At 11:00, I was supposed to be starting chemo.

Finally, about 12:30, I got into the chemo bay and was assigned my seat for the day.  A friend stopped by to visit.  When she left at 2:00, my chemo drugs still were just arriving.  The first drug takes only 30 minutes and the second takes over an hour.

I was able to participate in a company meeting from 3:00-4:15, and my chemo finally finished about the time the meeting finished.  By the time I got out of the hospital, it was time to pick my wife up at work.

Regretfully, we were also trading in a car last night, and we had to deal with that.  So, we never made it to the gym.  I'm going to try the gym today, but the first full day after chemo can be pretty rough, so we will see how it goes.

We did make one little mistake with our car trade-in.  We traded a car with studded snow tires for a car with no snow tires.  And, we are supposed to get 18"-26" inches of snow from a storm today and tomorrow.  So, we opted to not go home the next 2 nights.  We left the kids a car with snow tires and lots of food.

My wife and I will be staying at Hope Lodge at the hospital.  Trying to get home in this storm seemed too risky.  And, if I had a reaction to the chemo, getting back might be impossible.  So, staying close seems to make the most sense to me.

This was my 3rd round of chemo.  We have tweaked the meds for after chemo after each of the first two sessions.  I had a rough night last night, but I'm feeling better today.  I'm hopeful that we are dialing in the process and each remaining round will be better than the first two went.

I think that I will be able to train in the gym tonight, which is a good sign.

No comments: