Thursday, March 6, 2014

Upping the ante

It's now been 8 weeks since my surgery and I'm feeling physically better all the time.  The past two nights at CrossFit, I pushed the effort a bit more than I have been doing in previous weeks.

I skipped a really hard workout on Monday night, a workout done in memory of one of our former members who died on the professional skiing freestyle tour a few years ago.  I felt bad missing the workout, but I watched my wife and many others do it.  But, I'm sticking with my schedule of skiing the weekends and limiting CrossFit to Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday until I'm done teaching skiing for the year.

Tuesday, the workout didn't really seem that hard, but it took a lot out of me.  We started with 3x8 of back squats and then did 3x8/side of barbell step-ups - a loaded barbell on your back and you step up onto a box, alternating which leg goes first.

I kept my weight moderate for this workout, but when I recorded it in my workout log the next day, I noticed that I hadn't done any back squats since the surgery.  I had done front squats, but not back squats.  We finished the Tuesday workout with wall balls, power cleans and hanging knee raises.

Last night, strength work was focused on push presses.  The prescribed rep pattern was 5332211.  I started at 75 pounds for the 5 reps - way too easy.  Then, on to 95 for the first set of three, increasing by 5 pounds every set.  I got to 120 for the second single rep and still felt like I had more.  To be honest, I don't even know what my one rep max is for the push press.  I've done 145 for the strict press, although I couldn't do that now.  And, I've done 195 for the clean and jerk, using a split jerk to get that weight overhead.  So, my best for the push press is between those two weights.  But, 120 still seemed easy, so I added single reps at 125 and 130.

From there, we moved to pull-ups, shoulder to overhead (any movement allowed - strict press, push press, push jerk, split jerk, etc.) and kettlebell swings.

Today, I feel like I've been run over by a truck.  Every muscle in my body is sore, it seems.  I'm sure most of it is from the strength work on Tuesday, but this is by far the worst I've hurt from a workout since my surgery.

Tonight's workout includes a "Work your weakness" segment, so I can pick movements that won't kill the muscles that already hurt.  The latter part of the workout includes sit-ups, push-ups, and box jumps (step ups for me).  I should be able to get through that before a rest day tomorrow and then skiing on the weekend.

No comments: