Friday, February 28, 2014

CrossFit!

In my last post, I mentioned that I wanted to get to CrossFit three times last week, and my body wasn't ready for that yet.  This week, apparently, it was, and I even returned to a few movements that I hadn't done since surgery.  And now, on Friday morning, I'm a bit tired, but feeling pretty good.  Today is a rest day before skiing all weekend.

Tuesday: Power snatches and clean and jerks for strength, and then thrusters, pull-ups and burpees for time.  These were my first burpees since the surgery and they didn't hurt at all.  Well, other than the fact that burpees suck, I suck at burpees, and they always hurt.  But, the burpees caused no unexpected pain.  I have to admit that I'd had a rough day at work and I didn't want to be in the gym, so I probably didn't push as hard as I should have or could have.  But, I still got through the workout.

Wednesday: Strength work was 7x3 split jerks, starting at a very easy 95# and gradually moving to 115#.  My best ever on this lift is 195#, but that was before my shoulder injury last year, so between that injury and the surgery, I was happy to lift as much as I did.  After that, we did 10 minutes, as many reps as possible, of snatches (light at 65#), dumbbell strict presses, and rope jumping.  This was my first time doing rope jumping since the surgery, and I was worried about any potential incontinence issues.  The things most likely to cause issues related to incontinence, in my opinion, are rope jumping, box jumps, or lifting really heavy weights (squats or deadlifts).  No problems so far.

Thursday: Strength work was alternating sets of (10 of each movement) of 3 deadlifts at 225# and 5 bench presses at 95#.  The deads were still nowhere near my max from last summer of 440#, but it's still a decent amount of weight to pick up.  The bench presses were for form and deliberately light - less than half of my lifetime best.  No incontinence problems or pain with the deads, so I may increase again next week.  Then, we did a workout, as fast as possible, of rowing 1000m, 50 kettlebell swings, and 30 box jumps.  I opted to the the box jumps as step-ups.  I think box jumps will be the last movement I return to doing.

Tonight is the first workout of the CrossFit Open, where people try to qualify for a regional meet, where they can then qualify for the CrossFit Games.  I did this last year, and it was kind of fun, but opted out this year due to the surgery.  So, while everyone is killing themselves with double unders and snatches tonight, I'll be going out for a beverage with my wife and a friend and then going to see Ratdog at the Flynn Theater in Burlington.

No comments: