Thursday, December 13, 2012

The weeks just keep rolling on

I mentioned earlier this week that my wife and I had been in Boston over the weekend.  We got back home on Sunday evening.  And since we got home, it's been all about work and CrossFit.

Monday was a workout based on squat snatches and it beat up my shoulders and quads.  Tuesday had lots of squats, plus pull-ups and burpees, but I survived that one OK.  Last night was power snatches, clean and jerks, and then heavy deadlifts alternated with box jumps.  My legs were vibrating after that one.

Tonight, there is no pure strength work.  Instead, in 30 minutes, we repeat the following sequence as many times as possible:

15' rope climb
5 shoulder to overhead barbell presses (any technique allowed)
10 toes to bar
15 calories of rowing on the Concept 2

And then tomorrow, I'm taking a rest day.  Saturday will be my first ski day with paying customers this year, and I want a rest day beforehand.

Last ski season, I tended to take Monday and Friday off from CrossFit.  Monday was a recovery day after skiing, and Friday was a rest day to prep for teaching on the weekend.  Right now, I think I'm in good enough shape that I can do CF Monday through Thursday during ski season.

It looks like I'm going to make it to my goal of 150 CF workouts for this year.  Today will be #144.

I'm still trying to decide how many days I should shoot for next year.  I did 108 CF workouts last year, so I will have an increase of more than 40 days this year.  I think 180 is a reasonable goal for next year, but that is 15 days per month.  Basically that means 4 per week for 36 weeks, 3 per week for 12 weeks, and allows me four rest weeks during the course of the year, for vacations, illness, injury, etc.

Speaking of injury, my shoulders are really beat up by all of the Olympic lifting we are doing.  I'm not sure if I'm injured, but I'm sore a lot, and the soreness is affecting my sleep.  A couple years ago, I worked with a local chiropractor who uses Graston Technique and Active Release Technique to work on shoulders.  He is about to start doing one day per week at our CF gym.  He wants to focus on movement assessment, with primary emphases on mobility and stability.  He would then tailor treatments and supplemental exercises to focus on those two goals.  I have a feeling that I'm going to be spending a lot of time with him over the next few months.

No comments: