Monday, August 20, 2012

Relaxing Weekend?

The weekend got off to a pretty rocky start.  My wife had two job interviews last week and she was excited about both jobs.  On Friday afternoon, she heard from both companies.  One had hired someone else.  The other told her she would not be invited for a second round of interviews.  She was disappointed and so was I.   We've been without health care insurance for about three weeks right now, and it is something that worries both of us all the time.

I went to CF after work on Friday night, mostly because I had a very specific squat workout to do.  However, I just couldn't focus and I left not long after I arrived.  I just wanted nothing to do with the gym at that point in time.  The crazy downpours on the drive home matched my mood perfectly.

It wasn't the happiest evening we've had recently, but I tried to get my wife to focus on her running event onSaturday - the 100 on 100 relay - a six person, 100 mile relay that she'd be doing for the third year in a row, but for the first time without me on the team.

Saturday morning, we were out the door at 5:15 a.m. and we met her team and I dropped her off for the race.  I took a nap in the car for a while.  Then, I went to Montpelier for some coffee and the to go to the farmers market.  After that, I went to the supermarket for a few other items.

I got home and did some cooking and cleaning for a while.  Then, I hit the gym to do the workout I'd skipped on Friday night.  The workout went well overall.  I was in the gym for a max of 45 minutes.  When I arrived, there was a college kid (this is a college gym) working on his arms.  He had skinny little chicken legs, so squats and deadlifts must be unknown to him.  I swear he did nothing but arm work with dumbbells the entire time i was in the gym.  He never even stood up except to get a drink of water.  I guess that "big guns" and "what do you bench?" remain the fitness benchmarks of many people out there.  I just don't get it.

After my workout, I did some lawn work, took my daughter to soccer practice, took a nap, picked up my daughter, and then waited for my son to get home from work.  When he got home, we dropped off a car for my wife at a local park and ride lot, where her teammates would drop her off, post-race.  We had dinner, and then I watched 5 episodes of Breaking Bad.  I'm way behind the times - still in season 2, but I'm trying to catch up.

On Sunday, I slept in.  Ate some breakfast.  Went for a bike ride.  Ate some lunch.  Took a nap.  Went fly fishing with my son (the streams are still too warm for safe catch and release fishing).  Cooked dinner on the grill.  Ate.  Went to bed.

To me, it seemed like a nice relaxing weekend, especially when the naps are counted.  Hopefully, my legs will be ready to do hard squats in the gym tonight.  And tomorrow might be a rest day.

No comments: