Monday, June 18, 2012

Best Training Week in a While

Last week was a good week, training wise.  I got to CrossFit on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday.  I will admit that I scaled the workouts the last two days, but I felt pretty good through the week.

On Friday, I had to attend a work meeting in Providence, RI.  It took just over 4 hours to get there and the meeting went well.  Hopefully we will get a contract with this potential customer.

The ride home, however was a disaster.  I expected to hit commuter traffic in the Boston area, and I did, but it was manageable.  But, I didn't expect the Everett Turnpike in southern NH to be closed due to an accident.  After being stuck in traffic for over an hour, I was forced to leave the road.  I tried to use my iPhone to find an alternate route with two different mapping applications.  However, both of them insisted that I had to get back on the closed road.  I drove about 30 miles with no clue where I was before I got back to the highway.  The trip that took 4 hours in the morning took 6.5 hours in the evening.

Saturday, I did some interval running - not much distance, but my speeds for the repeats was about 6:30 mpm.  Later that day, my son and I went fly fishing on a notoriously tough river.  This river is unstocked and supports a population of big wild brown trout and smaller rainbows.  I have never gotten one of the big browns and Saturday was no different.  There wasn't really a hatch until right at dark, so I fished nymphs the entire time.  I hooked one rainbow and one brown, but didn't land either of them.  As it got dark, I switched my son over to a dry fly because a few fish were working the surface.  I think I selected the fly poorly, as he didn't get any fish to rise to his fly.

On Sunday, I slept in, did a repair to my lawn tractor, mowed the lawn, took a nap, and then went for a ride on my road bike - my first ride of the year.  Later in the day, I was allowed to cook a Father's Day dinner for the family.

My wife apparently stumbled upon a set of interesting drinking glasses, and got a set for me, a set for her dad, and a set for her brother as Father's Day presents:


I'm still trying to figure out what to do with these glasses, although I'm sure my brother-in-law has put a few cold brews in his set already.

No comments: