Friday, February 17, 2012

Back to heavy weights

Wednesday was all about body-weight movements in the gym. Well, we used a pull-up bar and we used rowers, but we didn't lift anything other than our own weight. Thursday's workout should have been called "Revenge of the Barbells".

After our warm-up, we did 5 sets of 10 deadlifts, with a goal of setting a 10 rep max PR. I hadn't done sets of 10 on deadlifts for so long that I am pretty sure every set was my best ever. After a warm-up, I did one set at 225 pounds, then 245, 265, 275 and 275. After the fourth set, I knew that it wouldn't be in my best interest to add any weight for the last set.

Then, the main workout was as follows:

5 rounds, as quickly as possible:
10 barbell thrusters
10 sumo deadlift high pulls

The prescribed weight was 135 pounds, but that was not even an option for me. The level 1 weight was 95 pounds, and before we started the deadlifts, I decided I'd go with that. But, after the deadlifts, I wasn't so sure. I started the workout with 95 pounds, but after one set of thrusters, I knew I had to drop the weight, and I went down to 75 pounds. At that weight, the workout was still a challenge, and I finished in 11:36.

We had been told before we started that at an appropriately heavy weight, the workout should take 10-12 minutes. So, dropping to 75 was a good idea.

I'm planning to go to CF again tonight, and I hope that I don't regret that decision tomorrow while skiing. I'll definitely scale the workout to an easier level tonight. And, after the workout, I'll be going to the state championships for junior high gymnastics, where my daughter is competing on the balance beam.

As soon as I get home, I'm sure I'll go straight to sleep. This will be a very busy and very crowded weekend at the mountain. Regretfully, I think the mountain has had a net loss of snow since last weekend, but we will have warmer temperatures for skiing, for Saturday at least.

No comments: