Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Western States Lottery

I'm primarily starting this blog to track my training and progress towards the finish line of the 2008 Western States Endurance Run.

On Saturday, December 1st, with only a 16% chance of being picked, my name was drawn and I'm one of 350+ people entered in the race. The race will start June 28th at Squaw Valley Ski Resort in CA.

I first heard of this race when I saw a TV broadcast about it back in 1986 or 1987. I've been interested in it ever since. In 2001, I paced a friend over the last 38 miles in his first finish at the race. For 2002, I was selected in the lottery, but tore my ACL during ski season and never made it to the starting line. For 2003, I wasn't in the lottery. For 2004, I lost the lottery.

For 2005, I was selected and I made it to the starting line. But, due to a dumb mistake in training, racing a tough 50 miler three weeks before the race, I fell apart in the later miles of the race, and I was pulled from the race at mile 93.5. That one still haunts me, even though I know I gave everything I had that day.

For 2006, I wasn't in the lottery. For 2007, I lost in the lottery.

In 2008, I plan to finally finish this race.

5 comments:

Andy B. said...

I just ran across your blog from a Google alert on "ultrarunning," and read your piece on lifting - good stuff. I don't do a lot of lifting myself, just a little dumbell work for my upper body, but it makes me feel better and I think it has made me stronger and a better runner.

That is quite a history with WS you have there. I wish you the best in 2008 and will be rooting for you to finish. Good luck.

Andy

Damon said...

Andyb,

Thanks for the support. I am so happy to be back in the race, and I'm looking forward to doing everything I can to be truly ready on race day.

Dyna Glycols Pvt. Ltd. said...

Fantastic blog post. and of course for an amusement as well as investment purpose the live gambling enterprise video games are so great. ซื้อหวยออนไลน์เว็บไหนดี

easyslot said...

Thanks for sharing this details. รวยหวย

Victoria Bc Real Estate said...

I would love to have a comprehensive conversation with you on this subject. เว็บหวยออนไลน์