Thursday, April 30, 2015

A little more consistency

Two weeks ago, at the tail end of an illness, I got to CF 4 times in a week.  It was tough and I coughed through a lot of the workouts, but I got through them.  OK, I scaled them quite a bit too, recognizing that I wasn't 100%.

Last week, I did a double red blood cell donation, and that messed with me for a bit.  I didn't even consider doing CrossFit the day I donated blood, but I did the next 2 days.  Again, I scaled the workouts and Thursday, in particular (running, ab work, farmer's walks and bench presses) felt really hard.  My wife and I were planning to ski on Saturday, and we were both sore and tired enough that Friday became a rest day.  So, 3 days of CrossFit last week.

This week has been very difficult - higher volume work.  Monday night include 4x7 front squats and 4x7 back squats, followed by some clean and jerks and some ring rows.  Tuesday was 10x5 deadlifts (for me), with each set followed by 20-30 seconds of jump rope practice.  But, in reality, that was the warmup for this little gem:

As quickly as possible:
25-20-15-10-5 kettlebell swings
5-10-15-20-25 burpees

The way you do this is 25 swings, 5 burpees, 20 swings, 10 burpees, 15 swings, 15 burpees, etc.

I admit I had to scale the burpees to 60% of the recommended number and I still really struggled.

I got home from the gym, and I felt like I'd been bludgeoned with a hammer.  Every movement hurt.

Last night started with 7x7 thrusters.  I looked at the workout and simply wanted to bail.  A thruster is a front squat, except at the end of the front squat, you essentially do a push press to get the bar overhead.  The second half of the workout had the bar go overhead 60 times (lighter bar than earlier), plus some 400m repeats.  Despite being a former runner, I was easily the slowest runner in my class last night and I finished nearly last.  If I hadn't gone really light on my push presses, I would have been last.

Last night, I wasn't as sore as the night before, but I am seriously tired.  I am busy tomorrow, so I really want to do the workout tonight.  Tonight is a "work your weakness" workout, so I'm going to focus on the muscles that don't already hurt.  We do 10 rounds, with 4 exercises per round, starting every minute for 40 minutes.  Tonight, I think my 4 exercises will be row 200m, 5 strict push-ups, farmer's walks (heavier than last week), and 3 hang power cleans.

Tomorrow, I get to sleep in, work from home, go to the doctor for my annual physical, and then do some fly fishing.  After that, I plan to sleep all weekend.

No comments: