Thursday, July 31, 2014

Back at it - whatever "it" is

What do I even call the stuff I do to stay active?  Is it training?  I'm not really planning to compete at anything, so I'm not training for an event.  Is it working out (an odd phrase, if you ask me)?  Just exercise?  Playtime?

I guess it doesn't really matter.  I prefer to use the word training, even though it might be the most inappropriate of the word choices.  Maybe I'll just say that I'm training for "life in general".

When our work at the Vermont 100 was over, my wife and I spent most of Sunday napping and recovering.  On Monday, she went back to work, but I'd taken an extra day of vacation just to catch up on things that had gone undone over the weekend.  But, I also had an ulterior motive.  I got up early Monday and headed out fly fishing.  I had a good morning on a small local stream.

After fishing, I worked on laundry, mowed the lawn, took care of some business in town, and then got ready to go for a run.  But, to be honest, it was hot and humid and I simply didn't want to run.  I eventually waited until about 6:00, when the worst heat of the day had passed and ran for about 45 minutes.

The next day, I was back at work and back at CrossFit, and I made it to class Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday.  I managed one day of heavy squatting, one day of heavy (for me) bench presses, and one day of heavy deadlifts.  On top of that, we had the normal variety of exercises - power cleans, burpees, pull-ups, push-ups, box jumps, Turkish get-ups, sprinting, rope jumping, mountain climbers, rowing, good mornings, toes-to-bar, etc.

By the end of Friday, I was beat.  On Saturday, I went to the farmers market with my wife and did some other errands.  We went out for breakfast.  And then I took a nap in the afternoon - for about 3 hours.  This is really unusual for me, but my body seemed to be telling me it was tired.  After my nap, I spent a couple hours exploring a nearby stream with my fly rod.

Monday, I was back at work and it started all over again.  Heavy squats on Monday, followed by barbell lunges, power cleans and pull-ups.  Tuesday it was power snatches, clean and jerks (both of these were the heaviest since my shoulder injury last year) followed by toes-to-bar and wall balls.  Last night was bench presses to start and I did 2 reps within 10 pounds of my best ever.  I'm finally going to get to 200 pounds in the next week or two.  Then, dumbbell strict presses, running and lots and lots of kettlebell swings.  I thought my forearms were simply going to fall off during the swings.

I'll go again tonight and tomorrow night before a much more relaxing weekend.  Saturday is my (our) 28th wedding anniversary.  I'll probably sneak out for some early fishing and maybe my wife will come along.  After that, we don't have any formal plans, but I'm guessing there will at least be some Champagne involved.

I'll mow the lawn and do some cooking, and it will soon be next Monday.  And it will start all over again.

Training for whatever...

No comments: