Friday, March 29, 2013

Moderate training week

Last year, I was really excited when I was done teaching skiing for the year.  The ski season had been really poor due to warm temperatures and a lack of snow.  I was ready to get back into the gym and do more CrossFit workouts.  I had only been to CrossFit 29 times during January, February and March last year - just more than twice per week - and I was ready to get to the gym more often.  But, I was also exhausted at the end of ski season.  I ended up taking a complete rest week right after skiing.  Then, a few days of training, and I took off five more days.  Three more training days and then three more off.  And then I lost a week to an illness in April.  Then a trip in May for some fishing, and suddenly, I'd gotten to the end of May with only 50 CF workouts for the year.  And, I'd done very little on the weekends as well.

This year, I think, is going to be different.  Part of the struggles I had last spring led me to the testosterone therapy that I'm using now.  I truly was run down and beat last year.  We also have some snow in the mountains this year, so I'll continue to ski for the next few weeks.

Last Friday's CF Game's workout was tough on my legs.  Then, I skied two days.  Monday, we did front and back squats, more wall balls (the main component of the Friday workout), and a few other things.  Tuesday, my wife had a social engagement and my knees were screaming for a day off.

Wednesday, I went to the gym.  I was still a bit tired, but I got through the workout.  Last night, my wife and I simply skipped the gym and got home early for once.

Tonight is the next CF Game's workout, but it's short.  It's only 7 minutes long, a mix of clean and jerks and toes-to-bar.  I'm terrible at the latter move, so my score won't be very good.  But, it will be over in 7 minutes.

Then, I'll ski over the weekend.  But, I probably won't ski as hard as I have been skiing with students.  There is no pressure to go to extreme terrain when I'm skiing for fun.

So, instead of my recent weeks of four CF classes and two hard days of skiing, I'll have three CF workouts and two days of easier skiing this week.  The next weekend, I won't ski at all, so maybe I'll do a little more CrossFit next week.  It's also time to start doing some running again as well.

But, the best thing is that I'm healthier and in better shape than I was a year ago at this point in time.  I'm not completely run down from the ski season.  I'm motivated to do some more training and some more skiing.

And training now is good, because fly fishing will be interfering with my training in the next few weeks.

No comments: