Friday, November 16, 2018

More of the same

I am fighting a terminal disease.  It seems to me that I should be out there every day, living life to the fullest, having new adventures, chasing dreams, etc.  But, the reality of life is much more mundane than that.  Don't get me wrong.  If I won the lottery tomorrow (not likely given that I don't buy lottery tickets), I would quit my job and start seeking out bigger adventures.  But, the reality is that I have responsibilities, a family to take care of, a job that requires I show up to work, and I can't just drop everything and go out chasing wild adventures.

Besides, I'm tired most of the time and I need my rest.  I hate to say it that way, but every week is fairly similar right now.  I start out Monday feeling pretty good, after resting for most of the weekend.  As the week progresses, I get more and more tired, and I find myself falling asleep earlier each night.  By the time Friday rolls around, I'm exhausted. And then, I rest up on the weekend, so that I'm ready to go again for the next week.

Last weekend, I got out of the house on both days, which is unusual for me.  On Saturday, I had my preseason orientation at Sugarbush, which took half of the day.  My wife drove me to the mountain and then picked me up.  After the orientation, we went out to the new tasting room for Lawson's Finest Liquids.  Regretfully, I stuck with water as others drank beer.  But, it was nice to be hanging out with my skiing friends again.

On Sunday, I had to go to Burlington to get a blood transfusion.  My hemoglobin levels were really low at chemo last Friday and for the first time, they wanted to do a transfusion.  In the end, I'm glad I did it, because it increased my energy levels for a few days, at least.

But now, it's Friday again, and I'm tired.  Sugarbush opened for the season today and I could ski this weekend, but I know that I won't.  Tomorrow morning, we have the Thanksgiving farmers' market to attend in Montpelier, and that will be my activity for the day.  I am hosting Thanksgiving for my wife's family, and I need to do my shopping tomorrow.  I am sure that next Thursday will be a challenging day for me; cooking for 9 people will take a lot out of me.  I'm working the next day (voluntarily) but at least I'm working from home.

Suddenly, it's the holiday season.  I have to figure out how to do any Christmas shopping this year with minimal effort.  It might be an Amazon kind of Christmas this year.

Actually, the biggest thing I'm looking forward to is my daughter returning home after her semester in Spain.  She has only been gone since late August, but she will miss Thanksgiving at home this year.  It will be her first ever Thanksgiving away from home.  She returns home on 12/14, late in the day.  It will keep me up past my bedtime, but I can't wait to see her that day.  Once she's home, then Christmas can happen.

No comments: