Monday, January 22, 2018

I'm starting to think that no news is good news

I've been posting a lot less recently.  I think that's mostly because my life has been more free of drama in some ways.

Well, to be honest, maybe I'm just in denial about the drama.  The company I've been working for for almost a decade is about to go under.  Despite my best efforts over the last six months, I still haven't found a new job.

I'm a finalist for one position right now, and I had a phone interview for another last Friday, but jobs at my experience level and salary level in healthcare just aren't that common in Vermont.  I could very easily be unemployed for only the second time in my career very shortly.  I have expanded my search circles recently, looking outside of healthcare, looking at jobs that pay way less than my current position, etc.  I guess that would be called desperation.

The only other time I was unemployed was in 2001.  Because of federal laws, my company had to give me 90 days of severance pay, and I found a new job before my severance pay ran out.  This time, there won't be any severance pay, and the truth is that the company is likely to owe me close to $30K as it goes out of business.  I have no way to recover that money, so I could end up drawing unemployment for the first time in my life.  Considering that unemployment pays less per week than I make in a day currently, I'm terrified by the thought of being out of work.

Medical expenses have really taken a toll the past few years and we simply don't have the savings to fall back on right now.  I hate to admit that, but it's regretfully the truth.

At the same time, I know I'm doing everything I can to find a new job, and my best will have to be good enough.  It is almost unfathomable to me how we would deal with me being unemployed, to be honest.

There isn't much new on the personal health front.  I was supposed to go to Sloan Kettering a few days ago, but due to snow and sleet, we missed our train.  I am now going tomorrow instead and we have bad weather in the forecast again.  So, this time we are heading to Albany the night before the trip, so we have a very short drive to the train in the morning.  The trip to Albany tonight might be a bit difficult due to weather, but we won't have any time constraints tonight, like we would in the morning.

Otherwise, life is great.  I'm skiing every weekend and enjoying my new job at Sugarbush.  I'm in the gym at least 3 days every week.  It usually takes me 6 weeks or so of skiing before I'm physically able to make it to the gym 4x per week, ski 2x per week, and not feel constantly beat up.  This winter, I haven't had a single week of 4 days in the gym.  It's just taking me a bit longer to adapt to doing both activities.

Because I'm going to take a day off of skiing next weekend, I'm hoping I make it to the gym 4x this week, if my schedule allows it.

No comments: