Monday, April 25, 2016

Seven straight training days - and still going

I mentioned last week that I'd done CrossFit on Monday and Tuesday, leaving me really sore.  My wife was sore as well, so we walked Wednesday evening.  That was my second walk for the day.

On Thursday, I returned to CrossFit, although my wife walked again that day.  Her back was a little bit sore from some Oly lifting earlier in the week.  I got to choose my own movements on Thursday, and I did rowing, box step ups, farmers carries and bench presses.

Friday night, we had limited time (dinner with my wife's parents), but we walked for 70 minutes before dinner, in between rainstorms.

My plans for the weekend were a bit ambitious - bike ride, fishing, walking the dog and skiing.  But, I pulled it off.  Saturday morning, we went to Montpelier and I got my mountain bike back from the shop, where it had been getting a tune-up.  I got home and rode for about an hour - nothing too tough.

Later that day, I got out for a couple hours of fishing.  I had a few strikes, but I didn't manage to hook anything.

Sunday morning, we went for a 75 minute walk with our younger dog.  And, about noon, we headed to Sugarbush.  It has been my goal since before my surgery to ski at least one more time this season.  Luckily, despite the crappy snow year, the mountain was still open when I decided (with my doctor's approval) that I could give it a shot.  I told my wife that I wanted to do maybe half a dozen runs - just enough to call it a skiing day, without overdoing it.

We warmed up on Spring Fling, a blue trail.  I felt pretty good there.  Then, we went to Downspout, another blue trail that was in good shape.  From there, we headed to the summit and skied a black diamond run - Organ Grinder - twice.  The top was a bit challenging, but it wasn't too bad.  After the second run down Grinder, we headed for the base and caught a different lift up to Stein's.  Luckily for her, my wife opted for an easier trail down.  It was a good choice because the top of Stein's was big bumps - not very soft - separated by nasty chopped up ice.  We had three of us there - one PSIA level 3 instructor and 2 Level 2 instructors.  I think we have close to 60 years of experience between us, and we needed to rest and regroup a couple times on the way down.  It was challenging, but not really dangerous in any way.

After one more run on Spring Fling, my wife and I called it a day and headed to the boot room to change.  My two friends, meanwhile, decided that the bottom of Stein's was so much fun that they would brave the top again for one final run.

After they were done with that run, we all met for a few beers.  The mountain might still be open next weekend, but I probably won't ski.  I have some plans with friends and I'll probably fish, but my ski season is probably over.  I'm very glad I got that final day in for this year though.

Tonight, it's back to CrossFit.  My goal this week is 4 classes, after 3 last week.  Hopefully, I can do the classes without getting so sore this week.  We start tonight with more front squats and lunges, and those two lifts put the hurt on me last week.

No comments: