Thursday, August 8, 2013

Busy beyond belief

I'm not even really sure why I'm posting right now.  I don't have much to say that isn't in every other post.

I made it to CrossFit 18 times in July - the most days ever in a month.  That was in the month immediately after the PRP treatment for my shoulder, so it was very encouraging.  I am still keep weights very low on anything overhead.  And certain lifts I'm simply not doing.

The 18 days was the most times I've done CF in a month.  Coincidentally (or not), I dropped 12 pounds in July, dropped 2" off my waist, and dropped a shirt size.  My wife and I also made a very concerted effort to eat well for the entire month, and it paid off nicely.  Now, I just have to find a way to sustain that into the future.

I've also started doing some jogging or hiking on the weekends again.  For so long, it seemed like every weekend was a monsoon, but the weather has been better recently.  I did get rained on a bit while running this past Sunday, but it was fairly minor.

Work is still crazy, which is part of why I don't have time to post much any more.  I am letting a test run right now, which gives me a few minutes to spare.  Luckily, our business prospects have been improving and my CEO has given me permission to look for someone new to help out.  I interviewed three people this week and I liked them all.  A year ago at this time, I was looking for a new employee for about six weeks.  I talked to very few people last year who matched the caliber of the people I met this week.  Next week, I hope to interview all three again and then hire someone to start work by the end of the month.

Maybe in September, I'll finally be able to take some vacation time.  By then, the temperatures will be dropping and hopefully, trout fishing will be improving.  My last two times out fly fishing have not been very productive.  Actually, my last four trips have resulted in exactly one small (tiny!) rainbow.  I need to catch some fish before another season has passed me by.

And, I'm starting to think about ski season.  The skis I bought last season are currently for sale on Craigslist.  While I like some things about these skis, they simply weren't versatile enough in off-piste terrain and I need to get a more versatile ski for this coming season.  I also need new boots, so I'm starting to look around at prices on ski gear.

And, after spending over $2K for car repairs in July, and then trading in one of our Subaru WRXs on a Subaru CrossTrek, it seems like money for ski equipment might be a bit tight.  Which is a good reason for me to get back to work and earn my keep.

No comments: