Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Tough week so far

I'm feeling mostly healthy, but work has been pretty intense so far this week. Last night, it was 8:00 by the time I got home and I never made it to the gym. I was too beat to even cook dinner, so we went out for dinner. My wife and I commented during dinner that both of us felt like we'd worked an entire week already and it was only Tuesday.

So, last night was a good test of my Primal Blueprint new rule for the week. Trying to avoid grains in a restaurant can be tough. But, the decision to do that has me really thinking about what I'm eating right now. For the past few months, so much of my eating has been completely mindless, which is really bad. My kids ordered burgers and fries. My wife had a Caesar chicken salad. They brought bread to the table. I had a steak and veggies and a few potatoes. Soon, potatoes and other tubers and legumes will also be gone, but for now, it's good enough to just skip the grains.

Today has been another intense work day, but it won't end as late as last night. So, I'm hoping to get in a run after work, maybe with the dogs or maybe with my wife, or maybe both. After that, I think I'm going to fire up the grill and cook some steaks outside. I haven't used the grill for quite a while right now, but it's up to 50F outside right now, so tonight will be the night.

Right now at work, I'm trying to hire a new developer, learn a lot from an outgoing employee, finish coding and testing a new release, and preparing to re-host our entire IT presence in a different location, using different tools and different operating systems. I'm guessing that I won't be able to take any vacation time for months right now.

But, with only 3 weeks left of ski instruction, I will soon have my weekends back. I just hope that they don't get consumed by work. I need to get back to doing more consistent workouts.

I should probably lift today, but the weather is demanding that I run.

No comments: