Thursday, May 26, 2016

Long time - no update

I am simply swamped.  I haven't had time to write an update here in weeks.

I'm working out like crazy.  My workouts at the gym are getting better.  My deadlifts, bench presses and squats are all improving rapidly.  I'm still far from my lifetime bests, but I'm back in the 70% range.  Hopefully, this improvement will continue.  I've been at CrossFit 3-4 days per week, walking or running on most days I'm not at CrossFit, and even on my rest days, I'm often spending hours fly fishing.

I'm doing more running and walking than I've done for years.  I am even on the waitlist for an ultra in NH in October.  It's a 36 hour long race, and my goal is modest - 45 miles over the 36 hours.  I simply hope to walk (run a little maybe) 30 miles on the first day, get some food, a shower, and some sleep and then walk 15 more the next morning.

I've been losing sleep to the hockey playoffs, which doesn't help me in terms of time management.  Being a fan of a west coast team who is finally going to the Stanley Cup finals has been draining.  I can't tell you how many games I've managed to miss because I fell asleep on the couch watching them.  If Pittsburgh wins their game 7, I may have a shot to go to a game in Pittsburgh next week.  No matter which team wins, the finals will mostly be in the eastern time zone, so I might be able to stay awake to see a few games.

On the down side, I still seem to be slightly anemic.  I have to get my chemo port flushed next week (they do it every 6-8 weeks to make sure clots aren't developing in the port where it enters your vein.  I'm going to have the lab draw blood for a CBC next week, to see if the anemia has resolved at all.  And, I'm still dealing with pain.  I see the doctor about that tomorrow, but I'm guessing the answer is going to be to "deal with it".  I'm not sure there is a better answer after three major abdominal surgeries in the past 30 months.  I'm guessing there is just going to be pain at times.  Regretfully, every workout, especially running, leaves me in some level of pain.  It hasn't stopped me from working out, but it takes some of the fun out of the training, knowing I'll be hurting after it's over.

Life is also crazy with my daughter.  She is winding down her senior year of high school.  Last night was her final lacrosse game in high school, and the end of her high school athletic career.  She had her best season ever, although the team didn't do great.  They got doubled up by an arch rival last night, which left her pretty unhappy.

Tonight, we get to see her completed senior project.  There are a few awards events to go to.  Graduation is in just over 3 weeks, and she's mostly done with classes and tests, but the events for the seniors are coming in waves.

But, I'm excited for her to get to this point, and I know she's excited about heading off to Syracuse in the fall.

And soon, we get to go on our first family vacation in years.  We'll be off to Lake Tahoe for a week.  I'll get to fish in the Sierra Nevada, we will hike a lot, and I'm guessing there will be plenty of mini golf.  Plus, we will get to see some friends that we haven't seen in years.

No comments: